Patriotic Flag Cake
Show your American pride with this awesome flag cake! It's easy to make and your family and friends will be surprised and love it!
- 2 White Cake Mixes
- 1 Strawberry Cake Mix
- 3 Cans White Frosting (or Your Own)
- Ingredients Needed for Cake Mixes
- 1 tsp Red Food Coloring Paste
- 1 tsp Blue Food Coloring Paste
- 4 tbsp White Cake Decoration Stars or Dots
- Make 1 box of white cake mix in two 8" round pans as directed. Cool cakes and slice each in half horizontally. Cut a 4" circle out of one of the cake halves.
- Make the strawberry cake mix but add 1 tsp red food coloring paste to the batter. Pour in 2-8" prepared, round pans. Cool cakes and slice each in half horizontally. Cut a 4" circle out of one of the cake halves. (One of the cake halves is extra and can be eaten or used separately.)
- Make the other box of white cake mix but add 1 tsp blue food coloring paste to the batter. Once mixed, fold in white cake decorations and bake in two-8" round pans. Cool cakes and cut a 4" circle out of the middle of one of the cakes (do not cut the cake in half horizontally). (The remaining blue cake is extra and can be eaten or used separately.)
- Assemble and Frost The Cake:
- Base: One thin layer of Red Cake
- Then a layer of frosting and one thin layer of White Cake
- Then a layer of frosting and one thin layer of Red Cake
- Then a layer of frosting, the outer blue circle (like an inner tube sitting on top)
- Take a 4" circle of white, frost it, and add a layer of red atop, then place the mini-stack inside the blue "inner tube".
- Now frost the entire exterior of the assembled cake and adorn with decorations.
- When cutting the cake it's best to cut pie-like wedges so the full flag effect is seen.
- I like to put a circle of oiled parchment paper in the bottom of my cake pan, along with oiling the sides to ensure an easy cake release. It helps to level out the cake and cut off the rounded portions from each before halving. This helps the cake be more level, stable and flat on top.
- To help make sure the cake is cut evenly when slicing horizontally try marking your spots with toothpicks as a guide.
- Try augmenting your cake with fresh fruit puree in the batter. Blueberry for the blue, strawberries for the red.